Calling all bookworms looking for their next big read. Consider holding off on that next big book haul and opting for a library card instead. With cooler weather and life having begun to slow down, now is the perfect time to cozy up with a good book and to continue supporting the Jersey City community. For over 120 years The Jersey City Free Public Library (JCFPL) has acted as the largest municipal library in the state of New Jersey, proudly serving one of the most diverse cities in the country. JCFPL’s mission promotes lifelong learning and cultivates equity throughout the community thanks to its innovative programs, engaging collections, welcoming spaces, and committed staff. Read on to learn more about JCFPL and its resources.
The Priscilla Gardner Main Library (pictured) operates as the headquarters for the JCFPL and can be located at 472 Jersey Avenue right across from Van Vorst Park. This architectural gem is a stunning sight stacked with over 400,000 resources, a designated computer area, and more. Read more about The Priscilla Gardner Main Library’s history here.
How To Get A Library Card
To sign up for a free library card proof of Jersey City residency and a valid photo ID will be required. Registration can also be completed online. Any questions about the library card sign-up process can be answered by the warm and friendly JCFPL staff. They are happy to assist over the phone or in person. Read more about JCFPL’s identification requirements here.
Locations + Hours
The JCFPL consists of 10 locations and a mobile “Bookmobile” to provide access to education as convenient as possible. The Bookmobile features over 2,000 rotating books, a media station with a DVD player and two computer terminals open to the public. The mobile branch also has restrooms and is fully accessible for patrons with disabilities. To view the Bookmobile schedule click here.
Operating hours at each location vary and can be located on the JCFPL website. Take a peek below to locate a preferred neighborhood branch.
- Priscilla Gardner Main Library + Departments — 472 Jersey Avenue
- Marion Branch — 1017 West Side Avenue
- Lafayette Branch — 307 Pacific Avenue (temporarily closed)
- West Bergen Branch — 546 West Side Avenue
- Earl A. Morgan Branch — 1841 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
- Five Corners Branch — 678 Newark Avenue
- Glenn D. Cunningham Branch — 275 M.L.K. Drive
- Heights Branch — 14 Zabriskie Street
- Miller Branch — 489 Bergen Avenue
- Pavonia Branch — 326 8th Street
A brand new Pop-up Library will now provide free access to audiobooks on smart devices throughout Jersey City. QR codes in various locations will grant users instant access to curated collections available in both English and Spanish — no library card is required. Here’s where to find and experience the Pop-up Library:
- Greenville Building — 1825 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
- Jersey City Medical Center — 377 Jersey Avenue
- Colony Plaza Specialty Care Center — 414 Grand Street Suite #14
- Oncology Center — 414 Grand Street #9
- Jersey City Medical Center Women’s Health at Grove Street — 116 Newark Avenue
- Lackawanna Coffee — 295 Grove Street
- Neptune Bakery + Deli — 1612 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
- Korai Kitchen — 576 Summit Avenue
- Hilsa Grocery — 822 Newark Avenue
See More: A Guide to Bookstores in Essex County
To keep up with all things JCFPL including events, volunteer opportunities, and more, sign up for the newsletter or follow along on Instagram for future announcements and community news. Support can also be shown by making a donation, providing a direct impact to the community.