Hello Hoboken! We hope you’ve had a great week. The Mile Square has been buzzing with all sorts of news this week, and we’ve got the round-up for you in our latest edition of Word on the Washington Street — your one-stop-shop for everything news in Hoboken.
. . . . . . . .
Happy 5th Birthday Pilsner Haus!
This weekend the Hoboken Pilsenerhaus is celebrating is 5-year anniversary. The European-style biergarten opened its doors in August of 2011. The “Danke Schoen” event will take place from 3:00PM on Friday through closing on Sunday and will feature a performance by the Josef Kroboth Polka Band, a pig roast, drink specials and giveaways. Happy Birthday Pilsenerhaus!
1 Republik Heading To JC
Hoboken bar 1 Republik will soon be opening a new location in Jersey City. According to Jersey Digs, it will replace the Rainbow clothing store located at 145 Newark Avenue. It is unconfirmed whether the new spot will maintain the 1 Republik name or go under a new name, 26 Below, which has been listed in records.
Observer Highway Parking Reserved for Residents
Construction on Observer Highway has been underway the last few months and parking has been left unrestricted during that time. According to NJ.com that will no longer be the case, as parking on both sides of the street will now be for residents only.
Shoprite Bakery Cookies Recalled
Shoprite has announced a recall on a variety of store-made bakery cookies sold between July 19th and August 15th because of the possibility of metal shavings in the dough. The Hoboken location is included the in the recall. No injuries or illnesses have been reported and any customers who may have these cookies at home are encouraged to return them to the store. For more information on the specific cookies recalled click here.
2016 to Be Strongest Hurricane Season Since Sandy
With about a month left to summer, hurricane season is about to hit its peak. CBS News weather forecasters have reported that this season may be the strongest since 2012 when our area experienced Hurricane Sandy. In June, scientists predicted that this season would bring 10-16 named storms. That recently increased to 12-17. While the season may be active, it does not necessarily mean that the tri-state area will see major activity. (We sure hope not!)
Jersey City Becomes Part of East Coast Bike Path
Jersey City’s efforts to make the city more pedestrian and bike friendly are paying off. Jersey Digs highlighted Jersey City’s participation in the East Coast Greenway Alliance’s effort to create a bike trail the runs from Maine to Florida. Started in 1991, they wanted to create a 3000-mile bike path that would allow people to travel down the east coast of the US. As of now, 30% of the path are trails, with the other 70% still being shared traffic roads. However, by 2035 the alliance plans to have 100% of the path be trails. Jersey City has officially become part of path with a route starting at the Hoboken PATH station and heading out the Lincoln Highway towards Newark.
Local Crackdown on Impaired Driving
This year, Hoboken law enforcement officers will be participating in the 2016 Labor Day Statewide “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign. Beginning August 19 and running through September 5, local and state law enforcement officers will conduct sobriety checkpoints and roving patrols, looking for motorists who may be driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. The national campaign is designed to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving through high-visibility enforcement backed up by public educational efforts including national radio and television advertisements, posters, banners and mobile video display signs. The campaign has a zero-tolerance policy and if a person is caught driving under the influence, they will be immediately arrested.
JC Families to Host Education Fair
On Saturday, September 24th, JCFamilies, an organization that brings parents and families from the local communities together through events, classes and meet-ups, will be hosting one of its most popular events – the annual JC Education Fair at Hamilton Park in Downtown Jersey City. The event will feature most major local schools, day cares, summer camps and activity centers in Hudson County. The fair is expected to attract hundreds of families, providing an opportunity to speak with representatives from various educational institutions and to source all the information they need in one place. The fair will also include a variety of engaging children’s activities including a “Magicians Face-off” with magicians from all over town.
. . . . . . . . .
That’s the latest Word on Wash! Have any news tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!