Home Events + News Chambord Building on Fire Again in Hoboken: What We Know

Chambord Building on Fire Again in Hoboken: What We Know

by Jennifer Tripucka
0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

Last December, the Chambord Building in Hoboken, located at 38 Jackson Street, suffered a fire that made the building uninhabitable.

The building is slowly being demolished, and on Monday, September 26th at 10PM, it was confirmed by the City of Hoboken via a Nixle alert that a fire had broken out at 38 Jackson Street, the Chambord building — AGAIN.

38 jackson street fire hoboken

The Nixle Alert stated that there was an active fire, and all residents are requested to avoid the area. Jackson Street between Newark and First Street are currently closed to vehicular traffic.

Previously, on December 20th, it was confirmed by the City of Hoboken via a Nixle alert that a fire had broken out at 38 Jackson Street, the Chambord building. Hours later it was confirmed that the fire began with an explosion and first responders including the Hoboken Fire Department, Hoboken Police Department, and Hoboken Volunteer Ambulance had been on the scene without pause, securing the location and fighting the fire that not only continued to burn for about 48 hours (on and off) but eventually expanded to the opposite side of the building.

fire chambord building hoboken

Until a few weeks after the original fire, it was unsure what the source of the was, however, it was reported the tragic incident that resulted in two deaths and dozens of businesses’ space being completely ruined, was under investigation by the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office Regional Arson Task Force and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Read More: Where to Donate Blood in Hoboken + Jersey City This Winter

A Twitter user shared a video of the scene.

NJ.com reported on January 12th that the fire started in a first-floor vape and smoke business, according to Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez.

It was determined, after the preliminary investigation, that the fire was an accident. It was concluded that it began in the “rear of the building at Glass & Vapor House LLC” and ignited due to the flammable material present which likely contributed to the fire.

For a list of businesses affected by the fire and to help with costs associated with funeral expenses for the two individuals that passed away, click here.

email buttons

Become a local expert in no time.
Enter your email address to stay in-the-know. No spam, promise.
Thank you for subscribing!

also appears in

0 comment